A glamorous coffee break at Southerden Patisserie

Recently declared “the most fashionable bakery in Britain” by GQ magazine, Southerden Patisserie and Café has definitely lived up to the hype. I admit it, I entered the café for its prestigious wallpaper: the collaboration between the print experts Eley Kishimoto and studio MacLean for the interior design of the café had reached my ear and, my little handbag packed with curiosity, I dragged the man there for a rendezvous in 3D.



The effect is eye-popping and fun. The Eley Kishimoto wallpapers in Venice pattern cover – although not to obsessive perfection – all the walls and the floor, which combined with the lighting, the wooden details and the basic furniture, made me feel like I was entering a kaleidoscopic parallel world.

Soon enough the laid back atmosphere and the welcoming staff brought me back to reality and I was instantly grabbed by the beauty of the cakes impeccably exhibited on a window. Despite the drinks coming in an unmethodical order, the palate-awakening experience made it worthwhile. How did I not come across Mel Southerden's wonders at her bakery in Peckham and, boy, what did I miss? In spite of all recommendations for the salted caramel doughnuts, I could not resist the temptation to bite into a cinnamon bun, as my other half was indulging his cocoa addiction with a glamorous chocolate hazelnut praline.
Gobbling up our pasticcini and sipping on our lattes, we were pleased to take a peek at the other available products on sale. The organic local products used by the skilled head-chef, are available on shelf: from flours to sugars, from eggs to bicarbonate of soda, the choice is extensive, introducing Mel's fans to brands such as Ali Baba juices, the London Honey, Joe's tea and Rubies in the Rubble chutneys.

Photos by Chriss Tubbs

Comments

Popular Posts